Life Insurance for Xalatan users.
In this article, we wanted to take a moment and try and answer some of the most common questions we get from folks applying for life insurance after they have been prescribed Xalatan or its generic form Latanoprost to treat Glaucoma.
Questions that will be directly addressed will include:
- Can I qualify for life insurance after I’ve been prescribed Xalatan?
- What kind of information will the insurance companies ask me or be interested in?
- What rate (or price) can I qualify for?
- What can I do to help ensure that I get the “best life insurance” for me?
So, without further ado, let’ dive right in!
Can I qualify for life insurance after I’ve been prescribed Xalatan?
Yes, individuals who have been prescribed Xalatan can and often will be able to qualify for a traditional term or whole life insurance policy. In fact, many of them may even be able to qualify for a Preferred Plus.
This is why…
When we first learn that an individual has been diagnosed with Glaucoma and subsequently prescribed Xalatan we’ll often ask if they have been prescribed any other medications or been diagnosed with any other pre-existing medical conditions. Because if not, while we’re looking to help them find the best “traditional” term or whole life insurance policy that they can qualify for, we’ll also simultaneously take a look at what kind of “simplified” issue life insurance policies might be available to them as well.
The reason for this…
Is because if it turns out that an individual might be able to qualify for a “simplified issue life insurance policy” which would not require them to take a medical exam at the same (or near the same) price point, for many being able to avoid having to schedule a medical exam and getting poked by a needle will make a lot of sense.
The good news is…
That during an initial “interview” or “consultation” with us here at IBUSA, our main focus will be on what your life insurance goals are followed by a determination about “which” life insurance company might be the “best” for you. To make this kind of “determination”, we’ll ask you many of the same questions a life insurance company would during an actually application which tend to be the same for both a traditional term or whole life insurance policy and a simplified issue one.
What kind of information will the insurance companies ask me or be interested in?
Now because suffering from Glaucoma isn’t necessarily a “life-threatening” medical condition and because having been diagnosed with it typically won’t affect the outcome of your life insurance application, you don’t have to worry about being asked all that many questions (if any) about your Xalatan prescription or your Glaucoma diagnosis.
You’ll simply be asked the “generic” questions asked of most life insurance applicants which will typically look something like this:
- What is your gender?
- What is your date of birth?
- Are you a US citizen?
- What is your current height and weight?
- Have you ever been diagnosed with any serious pre-existing medical conditions?
- Have you ever been diagnosed with cancer, heart disease, diabetes or depression?
- Have you ever suffered from a heart attack or stroke?
- Have any of your immediate family members (mother, father, brother or sister) ever been diagnosed with cancer, heart disease, or diabetes? Have any of them ever suffered from a heart attack or stroke?
- Aside from Xalatan, are you taking any additional prescription medications?
- In the past 2 years have you been hospitalized for any reason?
- Do you actively participate or plan on participating in any dangerous hobbies?
- Do you have any “issues” with your driving record?
- Do you have any history of drug or alcohol abuse?
- Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor?
- Do you have any set plans to travel outside of the United States?
- Are you currently working now?
- In the past 12 months, have you applied for or received any form of disability benefits?
What rate (or price) can I qualify for?
Now as you can see from the variety of different questions a typical life insurance application is going to ask there are a ton of factors that can come into play when determining what kind of “rate” an individual will be able to qualify for.
This is why…
It’s pretty much impossible to make any kind of educated guess about what kind of “rate” an individual who has been prescribed Xalatan can qualify for other than stating the obvious which is that whatever rate that is, it shouldn’t be affected by the fact that an individual has been prescribed Xalatan or been diagnosed with Glaucoma (provided they aren’t receiving disability benefits as a result of vision loss).
Or in other words…
The rate that you would have been able to qualify for PRIOR to being prescribed Xalatan should be the same rate that you would be able to qualify for AFTER having been prescribed Xalatan. Which leads us to the last topic that we wanted to take a moment and discuss with you today which is…
What can I do to help ensure that I get the “best life insurance” for me?
Because life insurance companies tend to use a lot of “random” factors in determining who the will and won’t insure, and at what price, we here at IBUSA have found that the “best” way for us to be able to ensure that our clients are able to find the “best” life insurance policy that they can qualify for is to be sure to know our STUFF and offer a TON of options.
By only employing true life insurance professionals who have tons of experience helping folks with all sorts of pre-existing medical conditions and then providing them with tons of options to offer their clients, we here at IBUSA truly do offer a one stop shop for folks looking to protect their family.
Which is why…
Our advice to anyone looking to purchase a life insurance policy is to be sure that the insurance agent that they choose to work with is truly an expert and that he or she has dozens of options for you to consider, because even if they are the greatest life insurance agent in the world, if they don’t have access to the “best” life insurance policy for you what good is that going to do you?
What are you waiting for? Give us a call today and let us earn the right to protect your family today!