Whenever we get a call from a client who has been diagnosed with a heart murmur, the first thing that we typically like to do is ask just how much life insurance with a pre-existing medical condition coverage that they’re looking for because it may be possible to simply apply for a life insurance policy that’s not going to ask about any pre-existing medical conditions.
It appears that a guaranteed issue life insurance policy isn’t going to meet our client’s needs, we’ll then try to establish the clients “overall” heath so that we can get a better idea about where or not they will be able to qualify for a traditional term or whole life insurance policy.
In general, having been diagnosed with a heart murmur isn’t going to automatically disqualify you from being able to qualify for a traditional term or whole life insurance policy, in fact you should be eligible for any number of insurance rates provided that you would otherwise qualify for coverage.
This is why…
we’ll want to know if you have any other medical conditions or lifestyle factors that could potentially disqualify you from being able to qualify for coverage prior to actually diving into the specifics of your heart murmur.
Factors, which when combined, with an existing heart murmur could potentially disqualify you from being able to qualify for a traditional term or whole life insurance policy may include:
- An unhealthy height and weight ratio.
- The existence of another pre-existing medical condition. Such as a previous heart attack or stroke, diabetes, or controlled hypertension and or cholesterol levels.
- Use of tobacco or nicotine products.
Non-health related factors that could also potentially disqualify you from being approved for a traditional life insurance coverage may include:
- A recent felony or misdemeanor conviction.
- A suspended driver’s license or DUI.
- Future travel plans to a potentially dangerous location. (ie: North Korea, Syria, etc…)
- As well as anticipated participation in any number of dangerous hobbies such as rock climbing, cave exploration or sky diving.
Then if it looks like you’ll still potentially be eligible for a traditional life insurance policy, we’ll then want to start looking into the actual specifics of your heart murmur because at this point, you’re heart murmur will most likely be the determining factor on whether or not you’ll be approved for coverage.
A heart murmur is basically the sound that blood makes as it flows through the heart during a heartbeat cycle. A normal heartbeat should create a murmur that creates the iconic “Lub-DUP” sound that we’re all familiar with when we think about what a “normal” heartbeat should sound like.
Abnormal heart murmurs will sound different and may be the result of (a):
- Defective heart valve.
- Atrial septal defects.
- Ventricular septal defect.
So… what’s causing your heart murmur?
Prior to an insurance company being able to underwrite your life insurance application, they are going to need to understand what exactly is the “root” cause of your heart murmur, and is it something that they should be concerned about.
If you’re heart murmur is being caused by a small atrial septal defect, and you’re otherwise a completely healthy individual with no serious symptoms to speak of, there’s a reasonable chance that you’ll be eligible for a Preferred life insurance rate provided you know where to look.
On the other hand, if you’re heart murmur is the result of a poor or failing heart valve or is due to an artificial heart value that may not be performing correctly, then there is a really good chance that you’re not going to qualify for a traditional life insurance policy at this time.
Common questions you’ll likely be asked during your life insurance application will include:
- When where you first diagnosed with your heart murmur?
- Who diagnosed your heart murmur? A general practitioner or a cardiologist?
- Are you currently treating your heart murmur with any medications or have you ever had surgery to repair your heart murmur?
- Do you suffer for any other symptoms of heart disease?
- When was the last time you had an EKG performed? What were the results?
- Have you ever had a heart stress test performed? What were the results?
- How often do you see your primary care physician?
- Have you ever been hospitalized due to your pre-existing medical condition?
- Have you ever suffered a heart attack, a stroke or been diagnosed with diabetes?
- In the past 12 months have you used any form of tobacco or nicotine products?
- Are you currently working now?
- In the past 12 months have you applied for or received any form of disability benefits.
At this point, the insurance companies as well as us here at InsuranceBrokersUSA will generally have a pretty good idea about what types of life insurance policies you may or may not be eligible for and at what price.
Here at InsuranceBrokersUSA, we’ll also have a pretty good idea about “which” insurance company that we work with will offer you the best rate! You see, because we here at InsuranceBrokersUSA have chosen to remain an independent life insurance brokerage, we’re able to work with dozens of life insurance companies.
Which means that when it comes time to helping you find the best life insurance policy that you can qualify for, we’re going to have tons of options!
So, what are you waiting for? Give us a call today and see what we can do for you!