When people think of buying life insurance, they often assume that their age, health, or budget are the only factors determining whether they qualify for coverage. However, the truth is that many other factors come into play. One such factor is how people choose to spend their weekends.
If you spend most of your weekends on the couch, snacking on unhealthy treats, your overall health may suffer. This, in turn, may negatively impact your life insurance application. However, it’s worth noting that the opposite can also be true. Living an active, adrenaline-filled lifestyle, like bungee jumping, may lead to discrimination by the life insurance industry.
Therefore, it’s essential to understand that when applying for life insurance, insurance companies may consider several factors affecting your coverage eligibility. While it’s necessary to live a healthy lifestyle, it’s equally important to disclose all relevant information to the insurance company, including your weekend activities, to ensure you get the proper coverage.
This is why…
We wanted to take a moment and discuss some of the most common questions that we get from folks applying for life insurance as active “bungee jumpers.” Questions that will be answered here in this article will include:
- Can I qualify for life insurance if I regularly Bungee Jump?
- Why do life insurance companies care if I like to Bungee Jump?
- What questions will insurance companies likely ask me?
- What rate can I qualify for?
- What can I do to help ensure I get the “best” rate?
So, without further ado, let’s “dive” right in!
Can I qualify for life insurance if I regularly Bungee Jump?
Yes, individuals who like to Bungee Jump can and often will be able to qualify for a traditional term or whole life insurance policy. The only problem is that not all life insurance companies will view one’s passion for Bungee Jumping (or other related activities) as an acceptable risk. This is why some may choose to either DENY your application or place some “limitation” regarding what your life insurance policy will and won’t cover.
Why do life insurance companies care if I like to Bungee Jump?
Aside from the apparent reason why a life insurance company might begin to get a little nervous about the fact that you like to go Bungee Jumping, participating in this sport can put you in all sorts of other “precarious” spots in your pursuit of this sport.
Many of the “best” Bungee Jumping locations don’t happen to be in the safest and most accessible locations, so even though the “jump” itself might be super secure, getting to and from your jump may not. This is why most life insurance companies will want to ask you a series of questions about your Bungee Jumping activities before they will be willing to make any decisions about your life insurance application.
What questions will insurance companies likely ask me?
As a bungee jumper, insurance companies will likely ask you several questions when you apply for life insurance. Some of the questions they may ask include:
- How often do you go bungee jumping?
- When did you start bungee jumping?
- Have you ever had any injuries related to bungee jumping?
- Do you jump solo or with a professional company?
- What safety measures do you take when bungee jumping?
- What is the highest point you have jumped from?
- Do you have any medical conditions that could affect your ability to bungee jump safely?
- Have you ever had any legal issues related to bungee jumping?
- Have you ever had any other risky hobbies or behaviors that could impact your health?
- Are you willing to pay a higher premium due to the increased risk of bungee jumping?
These questions are designed to help the insurance company understand your risk profile and determine your eligibility for coverage. It’s essential to answer these questions truthfully and provide any additional information the insurance company requests. Doing so can help ensure you get the coverage you need at a fair rate.
What rate can I qualify for?
Until now, we’ve discussed how dangerous Bungee Jumping can be and how many life insurance companies may use participation in this sport to discriminate against you.
What we haven’t mentioned…
Yet, statistically speaking, bungee jumping is a pretty safe sport and/or activity. And it’s probably safe to say that most people choosing to bungee jump are in decent shape. After all, not too many people with known Cardiovascular conditions would likely want to expose themselves to these types of adrenaline “rushes.”
According to the National Center of Health Statistics, the average Bungee Jumper only faces a 1 in 500,000 chance of actually dying due to an accident. Which may seem high when compared to other statistics, including:
- 1 in 103 chance of dying in a car accident
- 1 in 1,121 chance of drowning
- 1 in 4,060 chance of dying in a bicycle accident
- 1 in 7,770 chance of dying of sunstroke,
It’s actually a wonder why ANY life insurance company would be concerned about this activity at all!
All we can tell you is that some companies will care, which is why you’ll want to ensure that before you apply for a traditional life insurance policy, you make your agent fully aware of your Bungee Jumping activities so they can guide you in the right direction. This way, you’ll have a much better chance of locating one of the companies that aren’t going to discriminate against you.
And while you’re at it…
One thing that you may also want to consider doing is purchasing an Accidental Death and Dismemberment Policy (an ADD Policy), which would allow you to add on additional coverage if you die from an accident as well as provide coverage to your family if you suffered from an accident but DIDN’T pass (be sure to read about any exclusions).
*** Important Note ***
While Accidental Death Policies are designed to provide coverage against dying in an accident, many will have exclusions for deaths caused by participating in dangerous activities such as Bungee Jumping. For this reason, please be sure that you confirm with the insurance company directly that you would be covered if you died while jumping.
This brings us to the last topic we wanted to discuss today, which is…
What can I do to help ensure I get the “best” rate for me?
If you’re a bungee jumper and want to ensure that you get the best possible rate for your life insurance, there are a few things you can do:
- Shop around: Different insurance companies have different underwriting guidelines, so getting quotes from multiple insurers is essential. You can compare rates and coverage options to find the best deal.
- Disclose all relevant information: When applying for life insurance, it’s crucial to be honest and disclose all relevant information about your bungee jumping activities. This will ensure that the insurance company completely understands your risk profile, which can help them provide you with an accurate rate.
- Work with an independent insurance agent: An independent insurance agent can help you navigate the complexities of the insurance industry and find the right coverage for your needs. They can also help you find insurers that specialize in covering bungee jumpers, which may lead to better rates.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: While being a bungee jumper can increase your risk profile, maintaining a healthy lifestyle can help mitigate that risk. Exercise regularly, eat a healthy diet, and avoid other risky behaviors that could negatively impact your health.
By following these tips, you can increase your chances of getting the best possible rate for your life insurance as a bungee jumper.