In this article, we wanted to take a moment to answer some of the most common questions we get from folks applying for life insurance after being diagnosed with Eclampsia.
Questions that will be directly addressed will include:
- Can I qualify for life insurance if I have been diagnosed with Eclampsia?
- Why do life insurance companies care if I’ve been diagnosed with Eclampsia?
- What kind of information will the insurance companies ask me or be interested in?
- What rate (or price) can I qualify for?
- What can I do to help ensure that I get the “best life insurance” for me?
So, without further ado, let’ dive right in!
Can I qualify for life insurance if I have been diagnosed with Eclampsia?
Yes, women who have suffered from Eclampsia can and often will be able to qualify for a traditional term or whole life insurance policy. In fact, they may even be able to qualify for a no medical exam life insurance policy at a Preferred rate!
The only problem is that there is a…. “catch.”
“Catch” is that women who have been diagnosed with Eclampsia while pregnant typically won’t be able to qualify for a traditional term or whole life insurance policy for about one year since the development of this condition.
Why do life insurance companies care if I’ve been diagnosed with Eclampsia?
The main reason why most of the best life insurance companies are going to “care” if an individual has been diagnosed with Eclampsia is because Eclampsia is a serious condition whereby an individual will begin to experience dangerously high blood pressure could cause the patient to suffer from seizures.
Symptoms may include:
- Elevated blood pressure,
- Swelling in one’s hands or face,
- Rapid and excessive weight gain,
- Nausea, and/or vomiting,
- Vision issues,
- Abdominal pain,
Eclampsia can be safely treated and sometimes even prevented by the use of magnesium sulfate and only stresses the importance of proper prenatal care! Which segues very nicely into our warning that we here at IBUSA are not doctors, and we’re certainly not medical professionals…
All we are…
Is a bunch of life insurance agents who just happened to be good at helping individual find and qualify for the life insurance that they’re looking for! So please don’t mistake any of the medical information that we talk about as medical advice because it’s not!
Trying to “prep” you for what it might be like to apply for a life insurance policy after you have been diagnosed with Eclampsia… that’s it! This brings us to our next topic, which is…
What kind of information will the insurance companies ask me or be interested in?
Because Eclampsia is a very “specific” medical condition which can occur when a woman is pregnant and will typically resolve itself once “delivery” occurs, the only questions that a life insurance company are going to care about is:
- When were you diagnosed with Eclampsia?
- When was your delivery date?
- And do you still suffer from any “lingering” affects from your Eclampsia?
Beyond that, there isn’t much that a life insurance company is going to care about with regards to your Eclampsia.
There’s going to be a “ton” of other questions that a life insurance company is going to ask you before approving your life insurance application. However, these questions aren’t going to be “specific” to you or your previous Eclampsia diagnosis. Instead, these questions will be those that they would ask anyone applying for a traditional term or whole life insurance policy.
And will typically include:
- What are your current height and weight?
- Have you been diagnosed with any other pre-existing medical conditions other than Eclampsia?
- Have you ever been diagnosed with cancer, heart disease, diabetes, or depression?
- Have you ever suffered from a heart attack or stroke?
- Have any of your immediate family members ever been diagnosed with cancer, heart disease, or diabetes?
- Have any of your immediate family members ever suffered from a heart attack or stroke?
- Are you currently taking any prescription medications? If so, have any of those medications changed in the past 12 months?
- In the past 12 months, have you used any tobacco or nicotine products?
- Do you have any issues with your driving record? Issues such as multiple moving violations, a DUI, or a suspended license?
- Do you have any set plans to travel outside of the United States in the next six months?
- Do you actively participate or plan on participating in any dangerous hobbies?
- Are you currently working now?
- In the past 12 months, have you applied for or received any form of disability benefits?
What rate (or price) can I qualify for?
As you can see, there are a lot of factors that can come into play when trying to determine what kind of “rate” that you might be able to qualify for. This is why it’s pretty much impossible to know what kind of “rate” that you might be able to qualify for without first speaking with you.
That said however…
There are a few “assumptions” that we can make about someone who has been diagnosed with Eclampsia during pregnancy that will generally hold true. For example, if it has been a year since you recovered from your Eclampsia, and you don’t suffer from any “lingering” affects from your “bout” of Eclampsia, it is reasonable to assume that most life insurance companies aren’t going to use this previous diagnosis against you during the underwriting of your life insurance application.
Which means that…
Whatever “rate” that you would have been able to qualify for PRIOR to be diagnosed with Eclampsia should be the same rate as that of AFTER having been diagnosed with Eclampsia!
“Which is great!”
And segues nicely into the last topic that we wanted to take a moment and discuss which is…
What can I do to help ensure that I get the “best life insurance” for me?
In our experience here at IBUSA, what we have found that usually, the folks who seem to find the “best” life insurance policy for them are those that:
- Take their time reviewing their options.
- Ask a lot of questions.
And seek out those life insurance agents who not only have experience working with individuals who have been diagnosed with a wide variety of pre-existing medical conditions but also have access to dozens of different life insurance companies so that when it comes time to helping a more “challenging” case, they don’t have to rely on a…
“One size fits all approach!”
The good news is that this is exactly what you’re going to find here at IBUSA!
Now, will we be able to help out everyone who has been previously diagnosed with Eclampsia?
No, probably not. But what we can tell you is that in addition to offering a wide variety of different term and whole life insurance policies, IBUSA has also worked very hard to establish relationships with many of the Best Burial Life Insurance Companies as well so that if someone isn’t able to qualify for a traditional life insurance policy, chances are there may be some other “type” of product that you CAN qualify for.